Monday, August 9, 2010

The Atonement of Jesus Christ . . .

Dear Brethren,
The work of the Lord is going on mightily, and the powers of hell will be shaken forever! Nothing will stop the will of the Lord from being done, and we should all rejoice because of this thing. I have learned a lot this week, as life varies, and things change. We sometimes make plans, and they fail, and then we must remember in whom we have trusted, and remember Him who is mighty to save!
I wish to speak on a matter that came to my attention this week. I wish to speak on the write on the atonement of Jesus Christ--but it isn't merely what you think it is. I believe many of us have a testimony of the power of the Atonement of Christ to heal us and cleanse us from sin. Many of us have experienced this miracle many times, and glory be to God for it! However, fewer people (including myself, until this week brought about experience in the matter in just a small portion--even now I cannot fully comprehend it) have a testimony of the enabling and strengthening power of the atonement.
We know that it was said that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is to make "bad men good, and good men better". We get that it makes bad men good--for it cleanses us of ous sins. But how many of us believe that we are to rely on ourselves to become better? It is not so. The atonement of Jesus Christ is for good men to become better as well. Also, it enables men to do things they cannot do of themselves, and get through situations they could not handle on their own. Remember that the Savior conquered all of our pains and our sicknesses and infirmities--not just our sins.
Nephi had such knowledge when his brothers bound him, and planned his death. Read over it. In verse 17 of 1 Nephi 7, Nephi prays: "O Lord, according to my faith which is in thee, wilt thou deliver me from the hands of my brethren; yea give me strength that I may burst these bands with which I am bound." This, and many other passages in the scriptures give a great example. Nephi did not just say, "Get me out of this now!" or anything else. He asked to be given the strength. The cords did not just fall from his wrists, and he did not just magically pull a bit and off the came. He was not given "Hercules Powers", but he was granted the strength and the percision to break the bands with which he was bound.
There is a talk by Elder Bednar given in, I think, 2001, before he was an apostle. It was while he was President of BYU Idaho. It's titled, "In The Strength of the Lord". It's about the enabling power of the atonement. Read it, watch it, or listen to it. It will change you a lot if yo let it.
I love you all! Take care, and remembe the God in whom you should trust!
Love, Elder Chris Petersen

No comments:

Post a Comment