Monday, July 26, 2010

An Amazing Week . . .

Dear Brethren,

This week has been amazing! I've learned a few very practical lessons this week, and have had some amazing experiences!
First off, Saturday, the 24th of July, I had the privilege of baptizing Judy England! She was an investigator that I taught in the Holmes Lake Area, and a while ago I had invited her to be baptized. She said she would think about it. Then I left Holmes Lake before she could come to a decision. Later, we picked her up again as an investigator when I had stewardship over both Holmes Lake and Trendwood. We only got to teach her a couple of times before new missionaries came into Holmes Lake. Well, long story short, she decided to get baptized, and requested that I do it since I first invited her, and gave her her first Book of Mormon. I was way stoked to get the call, as you can imagine! There is nothing like the happiness one receives when you help them make the first step to the most important thing they will ever decide to do! The consequences are eternal.
Secondly, it's been the best week that Trendwood has seen in a long time! Elder Hoyt and I have been working to just get it moving, and finally, it did! We learned how to set goals, and actually meet them! I am now a good goal setter. Both us really lacked testimony in goal setting, cause unfortunately, most goals are never met. Elder Hoyt analyzed it, and decided we needed to go about it differently. So we set goals that would stretch us, but we put names behind the goals instead of just empty numbers. We set goals we have never accomplished before, but lo and behold, we made it! Now, I do not say this to boast of myself, because 1) My companion had the idea, and 2) It's the Lord's work, not mine. However, it felt good. Now my point: Learning to be a good goal-setter will greatly affect our lives, and our missions. So my advice to all, learn how to set good goals, and meet them. Pray for help. Hopefully, I can keep it up as well, cause I have always been bad at it.
Thirdly, companionship unity is everything. Elder Hoyt and I have very different personalities. We are like opposite ends of the spectrum! We both work hard and love the work, but we weren't getting along. Finally, we had a falling-out and just argued hard-core. No bueno. Luckily, we took a different approach to things this time, and figured out our core problems with each other. There had been some major assumptions made, and that was no good. We worked through them, and resolved things. Since then, we have been able to set and reach good goals, we have had more success than ever before in Trendwood, have taught more lessons than ever in Trendwood, and have been unified in our teaching--which has brought the Spirit strongly into our lessons, and has been what we can credit any of our success to.
Anyway, I love you all, and sorry about the bragging session, but Ammon in the Book of Mormon taught me a valuable thing. It is not okay to boast about yourself, but you can always boast in the Lord. Don't stretch it however, just be righteous about it. Lol.
And look it up, cause it's in Alma.
Love you all!
Elder Petersen

No comments:

Post a Comment