Monday, July 19, 2010

A Lesson Learned . . .

Dear Sons of Mosiah,

I have no idea what to write this week...I guess, a personal experience will do.
Don't ever argue with people about the gospel! It's no bueno. I got pretty frustrated the other day when talking with a man. All he wanted to do was bring up anti-mormon things that were just absolutely ridiculous. I used the Bible against him big time, and tore him down. Bad idea. Yeah, so I may have won the Bible-Bash from a technical standpoint--and even then, he was pretty good. His views were ridiculous, and his understanding leads me to think his pastor probably just spoon-fed it to him. Still, all I did was feed his dislike for us, probably. That wasn't my goal, but in reality, I probably just made things worse.
The reason I grew angry a bit, was because he started to just make things personal. He insulted me, and told me I was misguided. If dedicating two years of my young life to serving the Lord, Jesus Christ is what one would classify as being "misguided"...yeah, see? I'm even kind of mad writing it, but I ought to have watched my temper.
I'm going back to talk with him tomorrow, and handle it the way I really should have in the first place. I should have simply testified of Christ. That is what I have been called to, after all. We teach Christ, we testify of Christ, and we help people to accept Christ. So, I guess there is no end to this story yet. I'll have to let you know how it goes. Either way, learn from my mistakes before you go out and preach the gospel yourselves. It will make your missions, and missionary efforts, easier.
Anyway, I love you all. Have a great week!
Love, Elder Christopher Petersen

No comments:

Post a Comment