Monday, March 8, 2010

A Great Week!!

Dear Sons of Mosiah,
Best week in my mission history, I would dare say. I went on exchanges for two days (meaning other missionaries came in to work with me in my area, and my companion went to a meeting one day, and the next day he went to a Zone Leader's area). The first day, two other Junior Companions came and worked my area with me. It was a growing experience for me running my area for the first time, being in charge, and calling the shots. That day we got two new investigators, setting one of them for baptism. The next day, one of the Zone Leaders came into my area (his name also Elder Petersen!), and he and I got two more new investigators. The next day, my companion came back form an amazing training, and we started applying this training he had received at the meeting he went to. We got yet another new investigator, and commited him to prepare for baptism. Now, five new people might not mean much to those of you who haven't experienced a mission anywhere in North America, but that is fantastic out here! And we are just getting started. The Lord has blessed us greatly! In fact, this new training will also transform our mission, if utilized correctly.
Well, I'll tell you about a couple of these great experiences.

Wallace: He is a referral from a recent convert, named Lawrence Johnson. Brother Johnson has been best friends with Wallace for 52 years. They are 61 years old. Wallace is really open, and we taught him that we have a loving Heavenly Father, that he gave us families and prophets because he loves us, and also about the apostasies, Christ's Ministry, the Great Apostasy, and of course, the Restoration of Christ's True Gospel. As always, the Spirit filled the room--especially when I told about Joseph Smith's first vision, using Joseph's own words. My bretheren, there is little that is more powerful than testifying of Heavenly Father, HIs Son Jesus Christ, and the fact that Joseph saw them both, in his own words. The Spirit testifies so strongly, because whenever truth is spoken, it is his job to testify. When we teach, we should always strive to keep complicated things out of our teaching, and teach simply, ONLY stating truth. When we do that, the Holy Ghost fills the room so powerfully. The Truths of the Gospel stated simply, has more power than an eloquent man presenting a perfect presentation made for the smartest of men. Showing our intelligence does nothing. Testifying of bold, simple truths, is small, simple sentances, does everything. Well, we set him for baptism after that lesson, and we will be meeting with him again. He's excited to read the Book of Mormon, and to be baptized by the proper authority--being the priesthood, and the authority to perform acts and miracles in Christ's name.

Danielle: We also shared a similar message with Danielle, since it was also her first time being taught. She was a potential investigator some time ago, and had been questioned in the street by some missionaries. My companion just happened to pick her from the long list of potentials, so we visited her, set up an appointment, and I came back with two other Elders since that was the day she picked. Well, it was a good lesson. She cried, as we spoke about that Great Apostasy. It saddened her deeply. Then Elder Stevenson-a great guy-presumed to dive into the Restoration, and specifically Joseph Smith's first vision. He's used to speaking Spanish, but somehow he still remembered the words in English. He did fine, but he said it very quickly, and it was a lot to take in. She pointed out how huge a claim that was, to say that there were two of them, and that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ were separate beings. I quickly analyzed the problem, and explained to her how throgh the Holy Ghost we can know the truth of all things. I explained the feelings the Holy Ghost brings, and how he only testifies when something is true. I told her I would recite what Joseph said he saw, again for her, and this time invited her to pay attention to those feeling to see if the Holy Ghost would testify. She agreed, and I presumed to say it slowly, simply, and with sincerity. She looked at the picture we had given her, as I said Joseph's words. I paused for a moment afterward to let the Spirit testify even more. Quietly, I heard her say something along the lines of: "I believe it. I believe that happened."
Bretheren...Sisters...there is a power in these words, and in simplicity and sincerity. I did not convince her of anything, nor am I a special missionary beyond anybody else. This power is God's, and is the Power of the Holy Ghost. When you are a missionary, you are endowed with a power that is promised to you. Have faith in that, and know that the Holy Ghost will always testify of the simple truths. Remember to teach simply. Help them feel the Holy Ghost. Words will convert nobody. Physical evidence, miracles, and signs will convert nobody. Remember that Laman and Lemuel saw an angel, and they did not change. The Children of Israel saw the Red Sea part, and many many other miracles. Yet even they worshipped a golden cow, because of their unbelief. It is only by the Holy Ghost that we will know the truth of all things. I love you all.
Love, Elder Chris Petersen

No comments:

Post a Comment