Monday, March 15, 2010

A Tough Week, But a Testimony Builder

Dear Sons of Mosiah,
It has been a rough week, but it has definitely helped me reach a significant milestone in my life, I think. It was a hard week on success with a lot of let-downs, but that just goes to show that the Adversary is increasing his efforts to lead the Children of God down to misery and pain. Of course, as always, the Lord will come out triumphant. Sometimes things just don't happen in the timing that we hope, or in the way that we hope. But the Lord knows all things, and we best keep in mind that He is perfect, and just, and merciful. Heavenly Father made a plan for His children, and I don't think the Lord intends to save only few of his children. Apparently, neither did Joseph Smith's father, because he said the same thing--at least in the restoration video. I firmly agree.
My bretheren, there is a sorrow and also a joy out on a mission that seems to be almost uncomparable to any other sorrow or joy. The first little bit each of you is on a mission, you will probably miss home a lot. But the sorrow changes, and you never really lose sorrow, but rather, your sorrow becomes focused on your work. The sins of the world around you affect you tremendously. It's no wonder that Alma lemented over the sins of his people--but he also rejoiced in the Lord, and that joy is a joy that is not comparable to any other. It is the most exquisite joy, the joy that comes with this work. Sometimes I find myself worn down by the world around me, and my sadness seems almost unbearable as I watch my brothers and sisters fall away, being led slowly and steadily into the captivity of the devil. The law of chastity, and word of wisdom are huge problems out here. I watch as people reject the gospel, because they are held down in those chains. If any of you are bound in these chains, break them immediately, and follow the Savior. He truly is the Light and the Way. With HIs light comes a joy that is sweet above all other things.
Love the Lord, my bretheren, and His goodness. Pray to your father in mighty supplication for the welfare of your souls, as Enos did. Have faith in Christ, and trust in him. I realize that I must strive for these things, because my imperfections are many. The prophet Nephi also felt of His goodness, and also an exquisite sorrow because of the desires of the flesh. The scripture is 2 Nephi 4. I feel as he did quite a lot. It's a scripture that hit me with power. If a Prophet of the Lord feels a need to lament because of his sins and temptations that so easily beset him, have we also a need to cry out to the Lord as he did, and humble ourselves as the dust of the earth? I think so. It's my thought for the week. How can we better humble ourselves before the Lord? There was a talk I heard this week that I am stealing this next bit from. It's a question. Look at your hands. Whose hands are those? Certainly they are our hands. A mother might answer that they are her kids hands, and a husband might say they are his wife's hands. What do you say? Are they the Lord's hands?
Our God is a being who serves. The Son of Man descended below us all. It is so interesting how he came into the world not to be ministered unto, but to minister. Now go minister.
I am running short on time, but my experience for the week is so interesting. Plainly, a man antied us. He gave us antimormon literature. It disgusted me. If felt angry, and loathsome at that man. He looked at me and my district leader who was on exchanges with me, and asked, "Gentlemen, have you ever considered that you might well be on your way to outer darkness?"
Inside I was furious, and angry at his ignorance and accusation. The antimormon literature he gave us was so ridiculous and faulty, and all it did was anger me. I prayed to the Lord greatly for this man, as sorrows began to replace the anger in my heart. I asked what I should do concerning him, and the Lord answered me so vividly. Bretheren, the Lord wants to speak with us. He will help us fulfill the responsibilities of our stewardship. Turn to him always.
I have to go. I love all of you, and pray for you always.

Love, Elder Chris Petersen

No comments:

Post a Comment