Monday, March 22, 2010

An Experience to Always Remember

My dearest Sons of Mosiah,

I wish to share an experience with you today. It really strenghtened my testimony that the Lord keeps HIs promises, and strengthens our weaknesses should we come unto Him. Also that He chose young unlearned servants, and He promised that He would give them the ability to confound the wise. This is true, I'm an unlearned servant, and I confounded a whole group of learned people...only it wasn't me of course. It was the Spirit. Even my companion testifies that I'm not smart enough or literate enough to say the things I said.
The Harvey Family is a family that is devoted to Christ--which would be good if they were actually devoted to His Gospel, but instead they are devoted to some Born Again Church, the Glad Tidings Assembly of God. John Harvey was the man who antied us last week, and I was furious about it. I went home and prayed earnestly for him, as my anger turned into sorrow. I wanted to know how I could help him, and the Lord let me know what to do.
One of the greatest parts about having people under your stewardship, is the ability you have to receive revelation for and about those people. Twice now, in this area that I've been in for less than six weeks, I've been able to receive revelation that is so vivid that, as Elder Richard G. Scott suggested, I wrote it down. It came to me in words. I didn't hear the words, but it wasn't the same feeling I get when I'm thinking about what to write. It was a state of listening, and discerning, where the Sprit was present strongly. The Lord spoke to me concerning the things that I should do, and I knew I should go back.
It's not always a good idea to go back when somebody seems unwilling to change their ways, but I was nevertheless instructed to go back, and to teach him again. I taught him, his family, and another man named Jim. They are learned in the Bible, and even have this thing called an Evidence Bible, which teaches them how to minister to other faiths, and take them away from their beliefs. However, the Lord instructed me, and I was able to follow.
(I have to switch computers. Wait for part two. If I can't do part two yet, I'll do it next week)

Grrr...I wrote all of part two, and it all got erased!

Long story short, I councelled my District Leader, and he suggested taking the Finding Faith in Christ DVD over to John Harvey's home. I took this idea to the Lord, and he confirmed that it was good, and then added to it. He instructed me to compile resources that make up the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and give them to John. He also told me not to worry. He promised he would fill my mouth with the words to say, and would guide me in the things I should teach.
I then went to John Harvey's home, and he gladly had us in. After all, he did want to minister to us. He has resources that teach him how to shake us of our faith. But the Lord would not allow that this time. He took contol of the situation, and used me as the instrument in His hands. My companion was sick that night, and therefore unable to teach with me, but he was there, and we both testify that the things I said were not of myself.
So we showed the movie, and he cried as the Spirit testified of his Savior, Jesus Christ. I cried as well. The movie is quite moving. After the movie, I testified, and the Lord filled my mouth. I taught him of the temple, and its importance. I taught him aspects of the Plan of Salvation, and the Lord was with me.
Being unable to refude these things as he had previously done, John turned to attack Joseph Smith and his teachings. He was with his family, and another learned man named Jim. All together, they seeked to attack the doctine of the plurality of gods, and that mankind has the potential to become like our heavenly parents.
The Lord swiftly confounded them. I, a young unlearned man, spoke words beyond my own ability. I am not so literate, nor am I that intelligent. The Holy Ghost enlightened my mind, and elevated my understanding. In part, I feel I must thank my Dad here for telling me about the talks in his sacrament meeting. It must have been inspired, because the Holy Ghost used that knowledge in my mind to open my understanding. This led to a spirtual experence I will never forget. These learned people did not know what to say. The Lord spoke through me, and I cannot even recreate that for you. All I know is that it happened. I spoke on it too perfectly.
My bretheren, make no mistake, and know that the Lord hears each of us. He will help us in our challenges, and lift our burdens. He will enlighten our minds when we are in need, and loose our tongues.
The Gospel is life, my bretheren. Only a fool will try to separate the two. We are living the plan of our Heavenly Father. All that we do is in preparation to become like Him. The power is here to bind things on earth and in heaven. Man and woman are to be one flesh in the sight of the Lord. Families are a type of things which are to come, where we are to have children forever. Eternal increase. We will create life, and many other things, forever. That is why that desire is instilled in us. We also seek for knowledge in this life. That is the nature of our spirits. We hunger for knowledge, and as we learn, we become more and more like our heavenly parents. All that we do in this life is learn, make choices, and receive the ordinances we need to return to and become like our Heavenly Father. That is what this life is, and it is beautiful. Everything is the Gospel, and all things good are of God.
I love you all.
Love, Elder Chris Petersen

No comments:

Post a Comment