Monday, March 14, 2011

Become as Little Children . . .

Dear Brethren,
News on the front, there was just another baptism here in Broken Bow--only if you want to get technical it "doesn't count", but if you ask me, all baptisms count. It's another soul brought to Christ. His name is Tryon, and he's eight years old. Most of his family are members of the church, but for one reason or another, he was taking forever to be baptized. He will be turning nine this summer, so my companion and I were like, "what the heck?" and then we went into their home, and came out with plans for him to be baptized on Thursday. However, the most impressive thing is that we didn't have to do much. Just our presence made Tryon say to his parents, "I wanna be baptized", before we even brought anything up. Then we got to work it from there.
It was actually such an awesome experience for me, and I was amazed at the example that this young man set for me. He was continually persistant that he wanted to be baptized. Apparently they had talked about it many times, but this time he was determined. It's strange, because I know that my knowledge is far greater than that boy who has a mere eight years under his belt, but I realized how much more willing he was to simply submit to the will of the Lord. He probably doesn't comprehend to the degree that I do, the baptismal covenant, or the principles of the gospel, but his faith is outstanding. I could not believe how happy he was. He just wore a constant smile, simply knowing that what he was doing was right, and that he was doing the will of his Father in Heaven. I hope that we can all become like that.
Jesus Christ said, "Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven"(Matthew 18:3). He continued, "Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven" (Matthew 18:4).
King Benjamin, a great king in the Book of Mormon, taught: "For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father."
Truly children are to be not only our students, but our teachers. In my couple of times visiting this family, I doubt that I have taught him nearly as much as he has taught me. His example was great. The scriptures teach us that we are to become as this boy is. We are to become as children--not childish, but submissive as a child is. How hard this journey is! Sometimes it seems impossible. but that is why in the sermon delivered by King Benjamin, he strictly included: "...through the atonement of Christ the Lord...". That is the only possible way we are to become a Saint, or become like a child. We must always remember to utilize both the cleansing, and enabling power of the atonement. I'm working on it myself.
Love you all! Have a great week!
Love, Elder Christopher D. Petersen

No comments:

Post a Comment