Monday, October 4, 2010

Serving in Columbus, Nebraska

Dear Brethren,
This week has been great. General Conference had some very important messages in it, and I hope all of you got to watch the sessions. If not, I would strongly suggest that you read the talks in the November Ensign. The Servants of the Lord that spoke seemed to have some very common themes. It's helped me to see that they are truly inspired (not that I thought they weren't), and tell the world exactly what they need to hear to be able to repent, and align themselves with the will our loving Heavenly Father. Hopefully we are all putting our trust in God.
Well, I don't know what to say...again. I'm finding it harder and harder to come up with things to say the more of these messages I do. Of course, that's to be expected. However, I hope they will all have some value to you. For those of you who care to know what's actually going on with me in my mission, I think I will give an update right now:
I'm doing really well. I'm currently serving a branch, out in Columbus, Nebraska. The Columbus Branch is a strong branch, and they work very hard. The work has a lot of potential out here, and we are beginning to see a lot of success. I just got here a little over two weeks ago. Previously I was serving in the Trendwood Ward in Lincoln, Nebraska, where I made a lot of life long friends. It was sad to leave, but I believe the Lord needs me here more than there at the moment. My last companion is a very capable missionary, so I'm sure he and his companion are tearing it up out there.
Anyway, we are teaching a lot of Hispanic people because my current companion, Elder Noonchester, is a Spanish speaking missionary. So we teach both English and Spanish speaking people, which makes this area very interesting. I am the senior companion for the first time, which is really bizarre. We are teaching a really cool family called the Cardena Family, and they speak both English and Spanish, so our lessons are kind of Spanglish. It makes for fun times. My companion is kind of amazed that I know what he's talking about when he's teaching in Spanish, and how I can pick up from where he left off in English. I think it's funny. I wish I could claim it was my righteousness and the gift of tongues, but I just listen for the words I do know, and because I know the lesson it's easy.
We are also teaching many more wonderful people, and having a blast out here, but I'm running out of time, so I have to send this. I love you all!

Love, Elder Christopher Petersen

No comments:

Post a Comment