Monday, June 21, 2010

A Father's Day Message & Amazing Convert Stories

Dear Sons of Mosiah,

To start off, I hope you wished all of your fathers a happy Father's Day! We should all be grateful for our old men! They worked to feed us, take care of us, and they always punished us with an unshaken resolve. Lol! Really, I'm grateful for the firm punishment part. I was such a brat anyway, I'd hate to see how I would have turned out without it. That, and my Dad was always great for practical advice. I do miss being able to just talk to him anytime I have a problem. He was always great at helping me through things, and kept me encouraged. Mom's are great to talk to as well, but it seems like the two offer different benefits. You talk to your mother for comfort, and talk to your father for solutions and a replenished drive. Well, that's how it worked for me anyway. Well, the point is, I hope you honored your fathers this last Sunday-- and hopefully you're doing it anyway. I would hate to see your days not be long in the land. :)
Now, I have some things to add to my last week's spill: So Andre (our recent-convert of roughly a month and a half), did more amazing things this week! He's my hero! You see, day in, and day out, we try to get members to participate in missionary work. They do some missionary work, but it's almost like pulling teeth at times. Of course, some members are great at it, but Andre is a stud! This week, without us even asking him to do missionary work (ever!), he handed out a Book of Mormon to his friend and told him it would fix his life! How awesome is that? He told his friend to read it, and promised him that the Book of Mormon has the power to turn his life around! He then committed his friend to read it, and invited him to church! He's also invited other people to church! In addition to this, he has done other things! He had a discussion with his roommate about how the gospel will turn his life around, he's been keeping the Book of Mormon in a place in his house where people will see it, and hopefully pick it up to look at it. He's been leaving the window open when we teach him on his porch, so the people inside will hear. He's amazing! I feel like Ammon who felt he had to explain to his brother Aaron, who accused him of boasting: (In lame-man's terms) "I do not boast of myself, but I boast in the Lord." The Lord has done a marvelous work and a wonder in this man's heart! Andre will be an amazing missionary, and though he is too old to serve a full-time mission right now, he's doing a great job, and will find much happiness in the kingdom of God, for bringing souls home to his Father in Heaven--for the worth of EVERY SOUL is great in the sight of God!
Now, another fairly recent-convert I would like to talk about, is none other than my friend Scott Abbott at home. Scott, thanks for allowing me to be a part of everything. I cannot begin to tell you how many people you have touched. I do not take lightly our experiences that we had as you were investigating, and joining the church--but I hold it as a sacred experience. Yet, as a sacred experience, I have shared the story with some, to help them to understand why missionary work is so important. I know you will be a great missionary! I hope you are still working to prepare yourself for your full-time mission. Scott, you have a powerful testimony, and a claim that I can never have. Many times, people will ridicule me and not believe my words because I have been a member of the church my whole life. Yes, I had to pray, and become personally converted to know that the gospel is true, but you have a claim that is magnificent. You have the power of a convert testimony. You know what you know, and that's because you decided to ask God! You went through the long process, and you now know what is correct! You are very much a hero in my eyes. Anyway, my object is not to embarrass Scott, but I felt the need to thank him here and now, and I'd like all of you to know it because this is the beauty of sharing the gospel. Scott has a unique story. If you are ever permitted to hear him tell it, you have been blessed of God. Anyway, sorry if I embarassed you Scott, but I hope it doesn't , cause it shouldn't. Not to mention that fact that you and I have borne testimony of your conversion to a bunch of people at Youth Conference. Lol. That's a fond memory.
Anyway, I love you all, and hope you all see how much work there is to be done. EVERY SINGLE SOUL, is so important to God. Let's bring them home. I love you all!
Love, Elder Christopher Petersen

No comments:

Post a Comment