Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Best Mission Ever!

Dear Sons of Mosiah (and all other readers, of course),
Why is Nebraska the best mission ever? If you don't know, it's because you've never gone on a mission to Nebraska. There are so many great things going on here, and though there are a lot of lost people out here, they are all God's Children. There is a great and a marvellous work to do out here!
Crazy Stories of the Week:
I went on an exchange to the Fontenelle Area here in Omaha Nebraska (which is an even more ghetto place than Benson, where I am currently serving, which is also in Omaha), and it was way awesome, except we didn't get to use a car that day, so we walked A LOT! We only got to teach one person the whole exchange (which really stunk, but it was only a part-day exchange, luckily), and I think he may have been drunk. At least he smelled drunk. Drunk people smell nasty, by the way. Don't do it.
Well, while I was in the area, we were walking down the street, minding our own business, when a man saw us from off of his porch, and began screaming at us to get off of his block. It was quite hysterical! He tried to send us away in the name of Jesus, and when I looked back in his direction like he was crazy, he then said "I'll shoot you!". Is that oxymoronic, or what? Go away in the name of Jesus, or I'll kill you?! Yeah...maybe somebody needs to review the ten commandments...
(Look for Part 2, I have to change computers)

On the good side of things, I have really gained a strong testimony that the Lord blesses those that are diligent and work hard. Since I got out here to my first area, it's been quite difficult finding solid investigators,but we were determined. So we tried new tactics, and continued to work hard. This last week it really paid off.
The Lord put in our path, as we worked hard, a man named Justin. Justin's story is really cool. He is a single man that is 26 years old, and is in a wheelchair. Something is wrong with his legs, but we've never bothered to ask. He's obviously missing part of one of his legs, and I think a part of his other foot as well. Justin is also a recovering alcoholic who knows he had a drinking problem. Because of this, he joined AA, and the here's the cool part. The first step of AA is to join a religion, so he prayed about it, wondering what religion to choose. The next day, we showed up. Isn't that way cool? He's also a way rock solid guy, he came to church but went to the singles ward), and he's set for baptism.
We also met Mary, Craig, and Destiny. I will have to tell you about them later for interest of time. Also Karen.
Well, now we've found these wonderful people, after our hard work and dilligence. Here's the cool part: after all of that, we were referred to a less active woman who told some other missionaries that she wanted to go back to church. So we went to her house, and she has FOUR BAPTISM AGE CHILDREN WHO NEED TO BE BAPTIZED!!! It's way cool. We asked if she wanted them to get baptized. Right away, she said yes, and they said yes! Like that, the Lord just kind of handed them to us. It's a testimony to me that God blesses His servants who work hard. All of you that plan on serving a mission, remember that.
I need to go now, but also remember that the Lord called all members of his church to do missionary work, even when they are not full time missionaries. It is actually the members job to find people. It is simply our job to teach people, and prepare them for the covenant of baptism. Do the work, my brethren (and sisters of course).
Love, Elder Christopher Petersen N.O.M.
P....Paragraph, I guess: N.O.M. stands for Nebraska Omaha Mission! Isn't that awesome?! When I get home, I can say, "Back in NOM..." lol! Anyway, bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment