Monday, January 10, 2011

The Power of the Atonement

Written Dec. 27, 2010

My dear brothers and sisters,

"We are not merely mortal beings having a spiritual experience, but spiritual beings having a mortal experience." (Don't remember who the quote is by, and I probably slaughtered it, but think about it)

I hope you all had a Merry Christmas! I know I had a good one out here on the mission field. Wonderful things are going on, as always, and I have had many growing experiences in the last week. I hope you all remember that you are in my prayers, and that I love you all so much. I hope you also took the time to celebrate Christ's birth, and remember His atoning sacrifice for us. The Atonement is real, and very active in our lives if we will but let it. Through the Atonement, we can find relief from guilt, and be washed clean from sin in the blood of our Savior Jesus Christ. We can also find additional strength that will allow us to do works that we otherwise could not maintain if left to our own ability (look up Grace in the Bible Dictionary). Christ promised us He would make our burdens lighter if we will come unto Him, and strive to obey His commandments. In Matthew 11:28-30, he said: "Come unto me, all ye that labour and our heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart; and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light". A yoke is what goes on oxen when they pull a wagon, or other loads. It is interesting, because in a study, they took two oxen that could each pull 1,000 lbs. by themselves, and together they could pull 3,000 lbs. Incredible huh? So how do you think it would be if you and Christ were yoked together to face your challenges?
2 Nephi 31:19-20 says: "And now, my beloved brethren, after ye have gotten into this strait and narrow path (which is entered by baptism--insert by me), I would ask if all is done? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; for ye have not come thus far save it were by the word of Christ with unshaken faith in him, relying wholly upon the merits of him who is mighty to save. Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus sait the Father: Ye shall have eternal life". How are we enduring to the end? Are we trying to do it ourselves, or do we have the companionship of the Holy Ghost? Are we asking Heavenly Father for His, and our Savior's help? If not, we ought to be. Remember that the natural man is an enemy to God, and that we need to humble ourselves and ask for God's help. All of us are inadequate if we do not have God's help. Nothing is impossible with God.
Now one thing you may have noticed above, is the word strait in bold above. Pay attention to the fact that the word is not spelled straight, but strait. These words have two different meanings. The meaning in this scripture (being the meaning of strait), is not saying that the narrow path has no turns, or twists. A strait is kind of like a passage way that connects two points of destination. There is only one strait and narrow path that leads to God, but that does not mean it will be easy. The path does have twists, turns, and obstacles. Such is life, but all things that we suffer is common to man. God is faithful, and we learn from the scriptures that he will not suffer us to be tempted above that which we are able. However, that is on condition, that we plead for His help. Sometimes it is required of us to ask Him for things, even though He does know all that we need. This teaches us how to be humble, and to rely on our Loving Heavenly Father--and our brother, Jesus Christ.
Concerning the quote above, it obviously makes a point. We are all children of God who lived with Him before this life. In the premortal life, we were all a family together. Before we came to this earth, we knew it would be difficult. However, we loved God's wonderful plan for us. Before this life, we had reached our full potential as individuals without a body. We could no longer progress unless we would come to earth, gain a body, and learn from our experiences. We would prove ourselves before God that we are willing to live His Gospel. This would allow us to return to live with Him, now having a body of our own, having truly experienced the difference between good and evil for ourselves, thus allowing us to become like our Father. Because of Jesus Christ, we would be washed clean, and one day live in the presence of God, if we repent.
This is an amazing plan, but there is one thing I'm sure we were all afraid of. We are all family, and we knew it. We loved all of our brothers and sisters, and we knew that not every one of us could be born into the gospel. That would be impossible. He loves us all, and we all loved each other. Therefore, who can doubt that we promised one another that we would find each other, and deliver the gospel to each other. It seems to me that many of those that I have found, it's almost like I have known them before. They are familiar to me. I do not doubt these were my brothers and sisters that I promised I would find. Among the many, I know it of my best friend. I know that I promised him before.
Who did you promise you would find them? How will you recognize them? Did you miss them? We have a duty far beyond that which we know, to spread the gospel, and to help all of our brothers and sisters know how to repent, and come unto Christ. He is the only way. The Gospel will be preached to all of them, but nobody can deny that there are times in one's life that they will feel more receptive than at other times. Is it not our duty to present to them the gospel always, so that we can teach it to them while they are the most receptive? Who knows the pain they will feel in the last day, when somebody they knew comes up to them and asks, "Brother, why did you not share you church with me?"
I know the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is God's true and living church. There is no doubt in my mind. It is the only church that is complete, and there is none other. God loves all of His children. That is why He set up a missionary program. He wants us to find those that we promised we would deliver the gospel to. How merciful is He for the missionary program, both in this life, and in the life to come?! It is amazing! It is the only church where God is portrayed like that. In none other will He go to such great lengths to save His children. That is because no where else do they know God as we know Him, as a loving Father who is much like ourselves, but perfect.
I bear my testimony that Jesus is the Christ--the Son of the Living God. He lives today, and directs His church. He has called a living Prophet, Thomas S. Monson, to lead His children here on earth. Our Heavenly Father has also provided the means of prayer for us to have a personal relationship with Him. Let's all make that a close relationship. I also know that He and His Son, Jesus Christ, called Joseph Smith to be a Prophet, and to Restore Christ's Church, as an instrument in His hand. How wonderul it is to have this knowledge! Let us not take it for granted. And let us spread this knowledge with all of our hearts, might, minds, and strength. Love you all! Have a Happy New Year!

Love, Elder

No comments:

Post a Comment