Tuesday, January 19, 2010

This is Christopher's latest letter....I think you'll enjoy it!!

Dear Sons of Mosiah (and everyone else),
I URGE YOU TO READ THIS ENTIRE THING!
Life here in Nebraska is awesome, and completely, utterly insane! My Mission is the craziest adventure I think I've ever been on...and I've only been out a month...I'll see some of you in 23 more! Not that I'm counting, cause if you count when you are where I am, you will feel utterly devestated! Besides, I like it out here. Don't get me wrong. I'm missing all of you like crazy! Still, there's so much work to be done, and it's an honor to represent my Savior, Jesus Christ, every single day.
So...here we go...
Recently in my mission: My companion drove all three of us through a one way street backwards! As far as people we have met, we had an ugly lady answer the door in bra. She had tramp tattoos all over, and yes, she was overweight--however, I acknowledge right now that I shouldn't judge that, because she is a beautiful daughter of God...(I'm trying so hard to keep a straight face right now, but I can't do it!!!)...however, she is a daughter of God, nonetheless, so of course, we went about things as we should as Missionaries. We started introducing ourselves, when she said, "Go away! I'm a Pegan! Leave!". I knew exactly what that meant, but Elder Bowyer felt the need to inquire, "So I don't know much about Pegans. Can you tell me a little bit about it?" She responded, "I'm a Witch!" He said, "So does that mean you can do magic?" And she said, "Yes! Now go away!" Trying not to laugh, though I know her magic is real (and scares me, but the priesthood overcomes all), we complied and went on our way.
Investigator wise, we have had a rough week. Many people that were very promising, started dropping us, and dodging us. To say the least, it was kind of upsetting to us. You know, on a mission, if you are doing it right, you start to forget about yourself (your feelings, your personal wants, etc.), and you begin to feel a burden that I can't compare to anything. You feel the wickedness of the world on your shoulders, and the evil that gets to people astonishes you. You become very aware how powerful both forces that exist in this universe, are. Both the power of good, and the power of evil. Of course, the power of God (being good) is a power that evil can never hope to defeat. Never! I can testify of that now, more than ever. However, Satan has a strong hold on many many people. There are so many people who he has a hold on that are living in ignorance, and because of that, they refuse to change. Ignorance is bliss. Truly, the church that Nephi wrote about, that Great and Abomidable Church, is here on this earth. It allows people to believe they are following Christ, and that as long as they believe in Him, they can do whatever they want, sin however they may, and they will be saved in the Kingdom of God. Not so. Satan is a genius. My brethren, be careful to not be decieved! I warn you! These people are comfortable in their wickedness, and when that happens, it is so hard to get them out of it.
Now that I've written an essay (lol!), I'll get on to two stories I want to tell all of you about, that will hopefully prepare you for your missions. Please read them!
The story of the Pentacostal Woman:
We were out trying to contact a man named Ardon, but he wasn't home. On his street, a woman parked in her driveway ( a black woman in her twenties, I believe. And no, I'm not being racist! If anything, I love black people more than white people out here. Black people actually listen to us. A lot of the reason for that, is because they were raised to respect servants of God. Even those that are in gangs). We talked to the woman, and she wanted us to come in, cause it was cold. She seemed really nice, and made us some amazing hot chocolate (that may seem suspicious, but she told us what the ingredients are, and they check out). Then we began to teach. Elder Bowyer decided that before we shared the First Vision, he wanted to teach her about the Holy Ghost so that she would know how to recognize that it was what she would feel while I recited it in Joseph's own words. Normally, that is a great idea...then we found out she was a Pentacost.
I don't know if many of you know about Pentacosts, so I'll lay this down for you, and let you know why this is bad. You see, their religion is all about "feeling the Holy Ghost", only when they "feel the Holy Ghost", they believe that evidence of it is speaking with tongues. That's right. The only evidence is speaking with tongues. Their church meetings include people standing up, going crazy all over the place, "speaking in tongues" (none of them understanding what they are saying in that supposed language, by the way. They basically just utter a bunch of sounds that sound like some foreign language), and they go around hitting each other on the forehead saying, "You're healed, brother!" Yes, they "heal" each other.
Well, she got all hung up on the fact that we don't speak in tongues (and she doesn't count foreign missionaries as having the Gift of Tongues because they study). From there on, she didn't really listen. She decided she doesn't need anything but the bible, and her church. So, we wasted a long time there, and the oddest thing happened. All three of us felt really drained.
We figured out why that is. As missionaries, we are always accustomed to feeling the Spirit. There is nothing quite like it. He is with us ALWAYS, partially because of our calling, and partially because of how we live. When talking with this woman, she went crazy, practically screaming her preaching. She actually managed to drive away the Spirit (and I'm not kidding), when she went insane, preaching crazy things. It drained us. It's so strange to me how utterly dependent we become upon the Spirit.
Wow, this email is long! I have more stories, but I think I'll save them for some other time. We meet interesting people all the time. I love it, but it is so hard watching all of these people reject the Gospel ignorantly. There is nothing harder. As a missionary, if you are doing it right, the majority of the pain you will feel out here, is the pain that comes from watching the wicked and fallen state of the world. So many good people are doing terrible things. Word of Wisdom and The Law of Chastity, are two huge problems here. Prepare yourselves, brothers, because the world really needs you.
I know that this Gospel is true. Every time that I testify of the Restoration of Christ's True Church, I am filled with joy. Everytime I teach the First Vision in Joseph Smith's own words, I feel the Spirit without fail. I know that God lives, and He loves each of us so much that He sent His Son, Jesus Christ, to suffer all things for us. I love you all, so listen to me when I say, get to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment