Monday, January 11, 2010

Chris sent a message to you all!!

Chris is working hard already. It sounds like he is talking to some pretty interesting people! They seem to ask him some strange questions. I'll let you read it for yourself, as I copy and paste his letter:

Hello Sons of Mosiah, Family, and Friends! :-p

Nebraska is AWESOME! My adventures here are already very strange, and life changing. I've only done two days of work...(this is P-Day for me, which is Monday, except next week, which is Tuesday) one of the four days I've been with a companionship I was sick in bed with the flu. I puked my guts out ALL NIGHT! I'm sure you wanted to hear it.

Well, I started off here in Nebraska still with my MTC group. We flew in on a tiny little plane, and it was really cramped. Long story short, we spent the first few days going through orientation, and going through the history of the Saints here in Nebraska, which is awesome.

After that, I got called to serve in the Benson Area of Omaha, in the Omaha Stake. I have TWO COMPANIONS, who are ZONE LEADERS, and my trainers. It is tradition out here to call those that you train your son, and those who trained you your dad. As well, you call those who your sons train, your grandsons. Yes, I have two dads.

The first man I ever taught was a Catholic Genius, who invited us in cause it was cold. I think it was a 32 below zero wind chill outside, and it was definitely a below zero temperature. It almost always is here, and the snow is deep. He let us in. He owns an antique shop, and is basically a history expert who loves philosophy and hates the Lutheran and Protestant Churches. He is writing a paper on how they are wrong, and wants us to look it over for him. The Church he couldn't find a complaint about was, you guessed it, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He even went on about the Muslims! He even bashed his own church!

Also, so far, I've met two lesbians who were talking to us. They could not believe we had to go two years without sex. I then went on to tell them we couldn't till after we are married. They freaked out, asked why we can't ever "get some booty", and then asked whether or not we could at least slap a chicks butt while she passes. Of course we said no.

One guy we met stole a gun from his friend so his friend wouldn't kill anyone. Lovely. Turns out parts of Omaha are dangerous. We are banned from going down certain streets, and do our best to stay off of one called Ames. People get shot there nightly. There are gangs here. HOWEVER, they respect the missionaries. They call us the 'Jesus People'. It's really cool. Because of time restriction I need to log back on. I'm sending another email. One sec. Find part two.
(Part Two)

Well, while tracting in apartment buildings, you meet interesting people. There's nothing like having a door slammed on you by a guy who looks like Bigfoot! Lol! We also ran into some guys that one of my companions said "Hey, I like your shoes" to, and the guy answered, "Yeah, you'd like my dog. He's like that." What the heck does that mean?!

In the same apartments we ran into a girl that all we said was, "We're missionaries for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints," and she was like "oh yeah, come in!" She was insanely hyper! She fed me a blueberry pancake, and Elder Thornock French Toast...also chocolate....and water...even after I told her I didn't want any...we sat and talked with her, her boyfriend, and her agnostic friend. He was sceptical of all religion, had many questions that we answered perfectly. He said we were good, and very skilled, but he didn't want to listen. As we were teaching, they broke out the weed. Yes. Marijuana, or however you spell it. They were smoking pot right in front of us. It made me light headed for a sec, the fumes. Bleck! Also, Jenny, the girl who let us in, when we told her we couldn't see our families, friends, girlfriends, or anyone at home, asked how we get laid. We frankly told her that we don't. WHAT'S WITH PEOPLE AND SEX ANYWAY?! HOLY CRAP! We get asked about it, and I'm sure you will too.

Church was good, but it's different outside of Utah. It's obviously the same church, and things are run the same, but it's a lot smaller! And stranger...

Well, we came across a man named Cedric last night, and we set him for baptism on February 6th. That's right! The first time we ever spoke to him. Gave him the whole first lesson in the freezing cold, at night, outside, and set him for baptism! It's true, we are good. We also have another preparing that we also met yesterday. We're good. This is saying something for our mission. Unfortunately, the average missionary companionship here in Nebraska baptizes only 7 people per year! We know it isn't about numbers, but we are called to baptize. That is what all of the general authorities and mission president have crammed down our throats while we are out here. It's awesome! It's about getting people the true Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Well I've got to go. But I bear my testimony that God lives, and Jesus Christ is our Savior. They love us so much, you don't even know. This work changes lives. This Gospel changes lives! The atonement changes lives! I love you all, I have 40 sec so I've gotta go.

All is well!
Love Elder Chris Petersen

No comments:

Post a Comment